y1WlEjNAYV3-K1WpS3N1_iK3Azo TaJuLa's Blog: Women Speak Up In Support Of "Reducing Domestic Violence"

Monday 24 September 2012

Women Speak Up In Support Of "Reducing Domestic Violence"



In support of Peace One Day's Global Truce 2012 'Reducing Domestic Violence' Campaign and in celebration of Peace Day which took place on the 21st of September, the Wellbeing Foundation Africa is creating awareness of the human and emotional cost of domestic violence by launching a short Eliminate Domestic Violence documentary which voices the experiences of gender-based violence victims.

Given that over 50% of Nigerian women are abused by their husbands, this video represents a call for the complete eradication of gender-based violence and a milestone in the campaign to amplify public awareness of domestic violence and empower victims to voice their experiences without reproach. During the March 21st 2012 press launch of the Global Truce 2012 Campaign, the Wellbeing Foundation Africa Founder-President H.E Mrs. Toyin Saraki addressed both the problem of gender-based violence and its potential solutions. Two notable women who had something to say were Katherine Edoho an Hadiza Adzay.
        Katharine Obiang who was once married to the 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' host, Frank Edoho said, "Just to dare to argue with your husband is like a challenge in your home. The woman is challenging the man and tempers flay and then you snap, then there is a slap. He says 'I am sorry it is a mistake' then says 'sorry I won't do it again,' then he does it again, again and again.



Narrating a particular incident, Hadiza, estranged wife of musician Zaki Adzay, said, "he slapped me on the face so (and said) 'get up you must abort this pregnancy today. Now that I am married to you, you want to hook me with pregnancy because I am a celebrity.' Then there was a wardrobe in our room so I put my tummy in there and then he continued beating me. He had some folic acid in his hand and said I should swallow it and abort the pregnancy. When he gave me I said he should allow me take water, thank God the door was open so I ran away." Hmmmmmmm we heard the gist but like we thought we felt it was just GIST are these men not supposed to be examples to young men. How would they feel if someone did this to their daughters. #Just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment